Saturday, June 5, 2010

Women's Leadership Symposium

This past week I was lucky enough to attend a Women's Leadership Symposium in Washington D.C. There were over 1,000 women in uniform in attendance from the Navy, Coast Guard, and the Marine Corps. I was so motivated by these women who have gone before me, that have paved the way for women to be where we are today in the Military.
This is still a male dominated field and as a woman you can still be a leader and advance to anything that you strive for. Women still have a long way to go in the Military. So many of the women that spoke had had so many firsts. First woman to command a Naval Station, first woman to command the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, first woman to achieve the rank of a three-star general, and I even met a Senior Chief that was the first woman Chief to be at her command this year. These women are so inspirational and have done so much.

The main question I posed to many different women in the symposium was "How do you have a successful Naval career and a successful family life?"  Most of the women told me that you will have to make sacrifices, of course I already knew this, but they also gave me a lot to think about. A Captain, married with no children, told me I have to educate personnel that don't have a families so they understand what it means to have that family at home. A Senior Chief told me it's not about the quantity of time you spend with your family but the quality, like sitting down to dinner. Another told me I have to decide what is best for my family and ensure I put them first and to remember that there are a million moments in a child's life, don't feel guilty for the ones you missed, write down the ones you got to experience.  
Here are a couple of pictures



This is the first female Master Chief in the Navy.  She is also an original WAVES member.

Even the Chief of Naval Operations made time for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment